Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Surf fishing with baitcaster

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,352 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is a good basic description.
    It could be said most 'conventionals' are for power (low gear ratio and casting distance)
    while 'baitcasters' are for casting distance and speed (higher gear ratio).
    When I think "levelwind" the twin bars of a Penn 209 or 350 comes to mind.
    When I think "line guide" it's a more modern or high tech bar with a hole in a ceramic ring for less casting resistance.

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-tow really though ;-)

When I think surf casting conventionals, it's more in the genre of Penn's Longbeach or Squidder series. They can easily be modified (or 'magged') to cast more like a baitcaster (Lew's Ambassadeur, etc.).
    Nowadays almost all 'baitcasters' have magnets to help manage the spool rotation for more efficient casting.
    But I'm not a fan of an open worm gear in the sand.
    For that matter, I don't care for spinning reels with holes in the spool that allow sand into the rotor either.
    Last edited by Pier#r; 06-08-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    jollymon and j. gravy like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pier#r View Post
    That is a good basic description.
    It could be said most 'conventionals' are for power (low gear ratio and casting distance)
    while 'baitcasters' are for casting distance and speed (higher gear ratio).
    When I think "levelwind" the twin bars of a Penn 209 or 350 comes to mind.
    When I think "line guide" it's a more modern or high tech bar with a hole in a ceramic ring for less casting resistance.

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-tow really though ;-)

When I think surf casting conventionals, it's more in the genre of Penn's Longbeach or Squidder series. They can easily be modified (or 'magged') to cast more like a baitcaster (Lew's Ambassadeur, etc.).
    Nowadays almost all 'baitcasters' have magnets to help manage the spool rotation for more efficient casting.
    But I'm not a fan of an open worm gear in the sand.
    For that matter, I don't care for spinning reels with holes in the spool that allow sand into the rotor either.
    When I was looking up that link for the conventional vs. baitcaster I came across a thread on StripersOnline about modifying and magging the Penn reels. Looked like a really interesting upgrade!

And to your point about spinning reels, that collective sentiment across this forum is what made me save up a little extra and opt for my SpinfisherVs for surf fishing.
    Pier#r likes this.
    "Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late" - JB

Thanks
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 569 Posts
    I wouldn't waste money on a new rod for that reel. It's designed for power and just what it says, jigging in deep water. They're cheap but industrictable and made for deep sea fishing. Leave it home or bring as a back up only.
    Pier#r likes this.

DRH
    Gray Headed Old Fart
    Thanks
    Jigmasters cast just fine if it is part of a balanced outfit (line, rod and payload) and your techniques​ are sound. There are however, numerous reels that outperform the in casting distance while being more forgiving in regard to technique.

If you're dead set on using your JM, just go on and do so. Keep in mind that you will have your work cut out for you and your results will be less than optimal no matter how well you do it. The good news is that optimal isn't always needed to catch a fish or have a good time trying.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. It was nice having two rods out there last year, and I was able to cast the Jigmaster/Spinfisher combo ok enough to make it effective and caught fish, but it was a fair amount of work and probably not worth the effort. If I find myself just dying to get another surf set up, I'll get a decent set up and be done with it. Besides, the more time I spend messing around with the Jigmaster, the less time I have to fish my small spinning set up closer in while the big rod soaks bait further out.
    rabidawise and Pier#r like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12